Cheltenham Festival: Far from the muddy fields at Bramham Park
When the term ‘festival’ arises connotations of music, carnivals, camping and crowds circle the conversation. Whilst festival fashion for some exhibits bohemian skirts, body glitter and hot pants for me it embarks a completely unique event and wardrobe.
Cheltenham Festival is far from your muddy field at Bramham Park. Consisting of four days world-class horse racing, The Festival invites you to drink, dine, shop and network live on the television. Whilst the event, like many other festivals, hosts live music, bars and shopping it very much highlights the look of sophistication and finesse.
Unlike the Royal Ascot or any Summer season race day, Cheltenham Festival has no dress code and yet, it is the event every fashion conscious racegoer will have planned their attire for weeks in advance. From arrays of coloured tweed to feathered fedoras it is an opportunity to seasonally dress with elegance and integrity.
As racegoers arrive, they are usually meet by photographers all the way from The Daily Mail to the The Telegraph, ready to get that perfect guest of glamour shot.
What makes the Cheltenham fashion home stretch?
From royal guests to fashion designers, The Festival makes a very unique country catwalk for those wanting to stand out. Taking place in March, the event remains in the middle of the awkward fashion transition between Winter and Spring. Whilst the event could expect sunny days, there’s almost a 100% chance of rain and cold winds – so you might want to think twice about a hat!
Whilst not mandatory, it’s almost custom for women to wear a fedora to the event partnered with a tailored coat. Established country brand, Holland Cooper Clothing, designs quintessential British country wear and have become the top label to be seen in on the stands.
Founded by Jade Holland Cooper (34), the company now create bespoke garments for the event including full-length trench coats, tweed Chelsea skirts and stylish baker boy caps. Being seen on the likes of Vogue Williams, Lily Allen, Georgia Toffolo and even DIY SOS star, Nick Knowles, Holland Cooper continue to compose the best Cheltenham Festival wardrobe.
A furlong of the best Cheltenham Outfits
1. 2020 saw Vogue Williams sport an iconic solid red duo as she partnered a full length red barathea trench coat and high waisted peg trouser combo designed by Holland Cooper Clothing. To protect her from the breezy wind, she added a chunky white knit jumper underneath to keep her stylish and snug for Ladies Day.
2. 2018 took us back to Georgia Toffolo’s quintessential country attire where she was seen draped in solid white, allowing her brown tweed blazer to make the appearance. Synched in with a stunning belt, she looked the perfect combination of polo smart with her chocolate Fairfax & Favor Regina Boots.
3. Zara Tindall stepped out in 2020 looking elegant as ever in a monochrome, houndstooth, knee-length coat dress by Laura Green London. Accessorised with a deep maroon fascinator and leather gloves she was the epitome of flamboyance presenting the awards on Ladies Day.
4. This wouldn’t be a Cheltenham fashion round up without the mention of Jade Holland Cooper. With four days of exhibiting in the shopping boutique and hosting in the Holland Cooper box, her outfits were both practical and country bound exquisite. Donning her own brand in 2020, she sported a tawny full-length trench coat with matching high waist peg trousers and her HC classic suede belt in tan.
Perfecting the outfit with a white silk shirt she looked ready for business. Adding a cute accessory for a cold Spring day she wore maroon leather gloves lined with faux fur to create a gorgeous country touch to her outfit.
5. ITV Racing presenter, Francesca Cumani, never fails to put on a fashion performance in front of our cameras at The Festival. Both an owner and breeder of horses she knows the right amount of country balance to put into an outfit for such an event. 2021 saw her live at the event under different circumstances and an empty atmosphere but yet still putting 110% in fashion wise.
Gold Cup day watched her step out in a stunning high neck midi a-line coat dress accompanied with a navy fascinator and of course her frequently spotted Fairfax & Favor Amira boots.
Fancy diving into something new, the box office for The Festival 2022 is now open! Start planning your wardrobe now and emerge yourself into a new festival aura.